How to Deploy Drupal on Hidora: Free, Open Source, Highly Adaptable and Scalable CMS
What is Drupal?
Drupal is a CMS, written in PHP, using a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL and others), powered by an open-source community as a data store. Drupal developers have taken care of the correctness of the system architecture at all levels, from beginner to PHP-guru, from simple websites to huge portals with distributed infrastructure and heavy traffic.
Simply put, Drupal is a lego-type constructor. Initially, we have a certain set of “details”, but we can connect other “details”. Having studied Drupal better, you can make very different sites from simple to very complex ones.
Drupal is used by more than 1 million websites – from personal blogs to companies and government organizations. The Drupal community consists of more than one million people, including over 100,000 active contributors. The Drupal ecosystem has more than 40,000 free modules for expanding and configuring the basic functionality, more than 2500 free themes.
The Drupal core includes all standard CMS functions: user registration and account administration, menu management, RSS feed, taxonomy, setting page layouts, etc.
Despite the fact that Drupal offers an advanced API to experienced developers, installing and administering ordinary websites does not require programming skills.
Drupal Popular Features
- Built-in visual editor (WYSIWYG), which can help you easily arrange the text using the usual formatting tools;
- Support for responsive design at the kernel level to ensure that the site is correctly displayed on various devices;
- Improved support for interface localization and translation of content into various languages;
- Drupal can be integrated into the organization’s electronic document management system, connect analytics and marketing tools, and use other modern technological solutions.
I would like to show you how to deploy it manually and automatically on Hidora Cloud.
How to create an environment?
1. Log in into app.hidora.com and click on the “Create new environment” button.
2. Then in the wizard choose Apache application server accompanied with PHP v7.2 and MariaDB (or MySQL) database, name your environment and press “Create” button.
It will take a minute or two to create an environment with Apache and MariaDB. Once the creation process is completed, find the environment in the list of environments.
3. Click Config button near the Apache and open php.ini file in the root folder.
4. Add a new line with the following content after line extension=mysqlnd.so
Uncomment this line in the php.in file
|mbstring.encoding_translation = Off|
7. Then you should save the changes and restart the node.
Upload the application
2. Upload this .zip archive to the Hidora Deployment manager.
3. Then find this archive in the deployment manager and press “Deploy” button there. You need to select your Drupal environment and optionally specify a relative path where this archive should be extracted.
1. When the Drupal deployment is completed, click Open in browser button for MariaDB node.
2. You need to log into phpMyAdmin using credentials that were sent to your email during the environment creation phase.
1. Click the Open in browser button for your environment.
2. Navigate through the installation wizard. Configure database connection settings on the Setup Database step.
- Choose Database Type: MySQL, MariaDB, Percona Server, or equivalent
- Specify the database name (which you’ve entered while creating the database in phpMyAdmin)
- Specify the database Username (your database user)
- Specify the database Password (which you’ve entered while creating the database user)
- Specify the database Host (insert the link to your database without “http:// ” and “/”)
- Click Save and Continue button
3. Configure your site name, primary email of Drupal administrator and initial administrator user.
The installation process is completed.
In case, you don’t want to do all manual operations, just install Drupal from Hidora Marketplace.
Click on marketplace button. Find Drupal, click “Install” and wait several minutes for the installation. Now you can start using Drupal and make any website for your business.