How to Set up a Powerful and Easy Tool for Monitoring of NGINX Server
One of the most important parts of production deployment is a system monitoring. NGINX is a widespread and popular component in the service infrastructure, commonly used high-performance HTTP server. In order to be sure that the application works correctly, NGINX state and health metrics should be checked continuously. That is where Amplify (a SaaS monitoring for NGINX servers) comes in. The NGINX Amplify can help you to check that your NGINX applications work correctly, especially at the load peaks.
Using NGINX Amplify, you will be able to track different NGINX metrics and metrics of all applications served by it. Moreover, this tool will help you solve the performance and availability issues because it includes an easily configurable monitoring panel with automated notifications on how to optimize performance and improve security recommendations.
NGINX Amplify offers the following monitoring features:
- Alert notifications about server’ errors impacting your customers.
- Data visualization graphs to visualize the metrics from all NGINX instances.
- Tips on how to improve performance and security.
With Hidora, you can install NGINX Amplify in a click. Additionally to the default server’s statistics, like RAM, CPU and disk space, you will have access to advanced metrics (HTTP errors & versions, requests, connections and traffic load). Also, you can configure the Amplify to send you regular email notifications about server availability and load ratio.
Startups and small companies will greatly appreciate NGINX Amplify because of its free plan for monitoring up to five servers. Let’s check out how to set up your NGINX add-on at Hidora in minutes.
Creation of NGINX Amplify Account
To get access to the monitoring dashboard, create your personal NGINX Amplify account.
1. Visit the Amplify account creation page, click Create account, fill in the form and give your consent to the Terms of Service. When you are done, click Create and verify your email address.
2. After you open Install NGINX Amplify Agent page you will see API_KEY. Copy it and save.
Using your API_KEY you can now install the NGINX Amplify add-on.
Installation of NGINX Amplify Add-On
As we mentioned before, Hidora significantly simplifies the installation and configuration process of NGINX Amplify agent thanks to the corresponding add-on, which is available in the Hidora Marketplace. This add-on can be installed into any NGINX-based server such as PHP or Ruby web server, or a load balancer. You can simply click on the New Environment button, select PHP tab and then choose Nginx as an application server if you don’t have it yet.
To install NGINX Amplify addon please follow this manual:
1. Click Marketplace, choose to the Add-ons tab and you will see NGINX Amplify. Hover over it and click the button Install.
2. Fill in the following data in the installation dialog box:
- API_KEY – the identifier you have copied from on‑screen instructions in NGINX Amplify.
- Environment name – choose a target environment for the installation of the addon
- Nodes – a target environment layer. Each layer can be horizontally scaled and include multiple nodes, so you don’t need to specify individual nodes.
When you are finished, click Install and wait for a while to complete the installation process.
It’s time to launch your monitoring dashboard! After the dialog box displays a message about successful installation, just close it and proceed to the next section.
How to activate NGINX Amplify Monitoring
To start collecting and understanding your NGINX server metrics you should install Amplify Agent.
1. Return to the Install NGINX Amplify Agent page and click Continue
2. It will take 2-5 minutes to collect the data for Amplify. When the data processing is over, you will see a dialog window with the recommendations on the required NGINX configurations to visualize the metrics.
3. Once the metrics are collected, you will be shown a dialog box, recommending to set up extra NGINX to get a more detailed analysis of your application performance. To finish the process of installation just click Finish.
You’re all done!
Now, use the tabs at the top of the page to find a comprehensive information on your servers (to get the proper consumption values please check the statistics on CPU, RAM, and Disk usage via Hidora’s dashboard):
- Overview – shows general information about a server, calculates application health score, total requests, and other important metrics)
- Graphs – visualize various metrics from instances such as the number of requests, connections and errors, or PHP-FPM metrics
- Dashboards – show all the chosen metrics in one place.
- Analyzer – collects all necessary data on your instances and provides recommendations on how to improve security and performance of your NGINX configuration
- Alerts – create the notification alerts for various events that happen with specific metric
Using NGINX Amplify you can control your application stability by monitoring the most important metrics, get notifications and fix bugs immediately. The official Nginx Amplify documentation may provide you with a wide variety of configuration options that you can specify to enable advanced monitoring features.
As you may see, Hidora PaaS provides a smooth and seamless experience of NGINX Amplify installation into PHP or Ruby-based environments. As a result, it significantly saves your time and helps you concentrate on coding, instead of system administration. Try it free and install NGINX Amplify add-on to monitor your web apps.